Tuesday 27 March 2012

Around the Bay...and then some...

I've made some attempts at blogging before but gained a renewed and revived interest today as I attended a fantastic session this morning on social media and really...how to use it BETTER but more importantly, how to use it in a way that fits your life.  I've always loved the concept of blogging and doing more writing "for fun".  And why not?  This is a time in my life where it seems that I'm having a lot of fun and making some new discoveries so why not blog about it?!

This past weekend, I had the exceptional experience of running in my very first Around the Bay in Hamilton, ON. It really was a great experience.  I still consider myself a "newbie" runner by all definitions.  I've ran some 5 kms and some 10 km races but when a friend suggested this 30km run to me last fall, at first I thought it was a ridiculous notion, but I REALLY liked the idea of signing up for a run that would keep me on track and motivated to train all winter.

I learned a lot about myself over the past few months:

1)  I'm a lot more disciplined than I thought I would be.  I pretty much kept on my "training plan" all winter long.  I sometimes had to change things up because well...life happens...but overall, I kept things consistent.  Something I would never have given myself credit for in the past.

2) I'm an athlete.  Someone called me an "athlete" and I thought it sounded ridiculous and a little conceited but you know what....it's true.  It's a state of mind and it comes with dedication and truly enjoying what you do. I think I've found that I have both when it comes to running.  Who knew the girl who used to duck in gym class would consider herself an "athlete"?!  I'm still ducking...just now I actually like to run while I do it!

3) 30 km isn't impossible.  After months of training, the anticipation leading up to the run almost made me sick--I felt so NERVOUS.  Once the actual run began, I actually settled into my run and was able to think of it as "just another Sunday run" that happened to include a few thousand other people...and who knew that the kilometers would kind of actually fly by?  Seriously.  I realized that while I could have easily let my nerves get the best to me, it was more important to realize that the actual race was just a small part of the whole journey. No matter the outcome of the race, I knew I would have the satisfaction of knowing that there had been a whole lotta really great runs that had gotten me there.  That's kind of a cool feeling and it helped calm me down.

All in all, the experience of ATB was such a positive experience!  Now...just need to look ahead and sign up for something else! :)


2 comments:

  1. Great accomplishment in running 30k and finishing ATB this past weekend! I've never run so far, but I am preparing for my first marathon this May. Good luck with your running as well and maybe our paths will cross again sometime in a race just like they did at ATB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you on your marathon training! I'm really looking forward to following your journey on your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete